Many people don’t know that their actions make a difference (or how to!). With World Ocean Day around the corner, it’s the perfect time to change that.
It’s almost World Ocean Day (June 8th), and we’re taking the chance to share just how much the ocean means to the world! It truly is a global ocean that connects us all.
Of course, it’s a place that many of us can’t get enough of through sublime vacations to the coast, breathtaking seascapes & wondrous sea creatures on TV, and also keeping the beach close at heart until the next visit.
But that’s just scratching the surface.
The ocean also gives us things we need each day, like much of our oxygen (enjoy breathing?) and a livable climate! In fact, if you’ve ever gotten a vaccine to keep you from getting sick (the vast majority of us!), the humble horseshoe crab made sure it was safe to give.
The ocean gives us so much whether we live inland or by the coast, but most of us don’t even realize it. And what’s more, no matter where we live, we all have an intensely eye-opening impact on our ocean too.
To get you in the loop and inspired to make a difference, we’ve created an infographic using the artwork from our children’s books. This is something we’re incredibly passionate about, take a look why:
Pretty eye-opening, isn’t it? Yes, it’s true: We need our ocean, and our ocean needs US! It’s something that isn’t often taught in schools (why not!?) and we’ve got to shine a light on it.
Now, what you do from here can change the world (and make your own life healthier immediately), so start NOW! Take another look at the “How to Help” section of the infographic and decide which you will do first:
- Are you a die-hard seafood eater? Check out SeafoodWatch.org before ordering another potentially depleted or toxic fish.
- Know others who have no idea about this? Get the word out! Start by sharing this article.
- Not sure if the products you use might be harmful? Look at labels and make the choice to use products that are kind to the environment.
- Are you a zombie (like we all can be!) when it comes to water, electricity & gasoline use? Make the choice to be more awake to these.
- Are you in a habit of using single-use plastic bottles, containers and bags? Buy a reusable water container to fill each day, and start using reusable bags & containers.
- Are recycling & picking up litter a part of your daily life? Get started today with plastic, paper, and glass! For more, this A-Z guide from Real Simple magazine tells how to recycle or reuse anything.
To help you get started with getting the word out, here’s the link to share this with everyone you know and spread awareness (that is, after all, the foundation for action!): http://bit.ly/1ONaKZT
It’s time to spark change for a healthy ocean, which is really sparking change for a healthy you and I. What actions are you going to take to be that spark?
P.S. – We couldn’t resist making a shareable Happy World Ocean Day greeting & poster too. You’re free to share and use it for your World Ocean Day celebrations! 🙂